Many of you faced with the question today of having a web site.
And after developing your site you will probably starting to find good free hosting.
What’s the catch with the free hosting providers?
There is nothing in this world for free. Ask yourself a question – how do they survive?
They have to pay for servers, bandwidth, server software and got no income?
The answer is – advertising, yeah they place an ads on your site and usually have a tracking tools to decide
whether traffic on your site click on their ads and generate income or not.
If not do not be surprised your account closed.
Here are some things to think about before signing up for a free host:
- Free hosting companies usually place their own ads on your site.
- There are some free hosting companies that do not place an ads but if you get some traffic on your site your free provider may close your account and place his own page with ads instead of your site.
- PHP, CGI, Perl and many other tech tools are disabled.
- You have very limited disk space and limited bandwidth.
- You get a web address that is not easily memorized by others address like /freehoster.com/somedir/~youraccount
- You don’t have useful tools like Site builder, add-on scripts which some paid hosting companies offer for free.
- You don’t have email address similar as your account name.
- A lot of free hosts change their Terms without warning you.
- Because they are offering free hosting, the majority of them can not afford to offer 24/7 or any support.
- Very few free web hosts offer a control panel with their plans.
With pay host you eliminate all this inconveniences except one – it’s not free.
I know this is not a simple step to decide to pay for hosting. So if you need just an information page for your friends then free hosting option is right for you. But if this is your presentation
site or you plan to do some business and need tools like PHP, CGI etc…
I’d recommend to take a look at paid hosting companies.